Monday, July 27, 2009

Our summer camping trip

Peyton coloring at the beach
In the water!
Brayden and his cousin Tanner
Daddy and Peyton hanging out
All the boys shooting their bows
Peyton playing with the trucks
Our cool new tent!
This last weekend we went up to mountains to Travis' parents property and went camping for one night. I got Travis a large tent for Father's day (because we only had a small 4 person tent from when we first got married:). Along with his tent I told him we could go camping anywhere he wanted sometime this summer. He picked this spot with his parents and Brayden's cousin Tanner. Their property is beautiful with a pretty creek running through it. They have a little trailer there with electricity and an outhouse and that's about it. So no showers, or running water:( We got there on Friday around 1:30 and set up the tent, which was a really nice 2 room one. Peyton took a nap and the rest of us relaxed in the sun. We had turkey tacos for dinner which were yummy! Travis was scheduled to talk a Pleasant Valley Camp to the 4th-6th graders that night so we took a little drive 5 minutes down the road for his talk.
We went to bed and were all really tired. The night started out great with the kids falling immediately asleep. However from there, it just got worse! Brayden had to pee three times during the night which is tough when it's freezing and you have to put on your shoes. Then I think he got an allergy attack so he was sneezing all night. Peyton woke up a few times and was cold so I had to get out of my warm sleeping bag to wrap her up again. To make matters worse Emma kept barking and growling at something through the night and Travis had to keep yelling at her to stop:) Needless to say we all didn't sleep that good! Hahaha...
Saturday was a nice day. The weather was beautiful. We had pancakes and bacon for breakfast. Then the guys went and shot their bows while us ladies read. We then went to Riffe Lake and had a picnic lunch and went swimming, which was so refreshing in the heat. We went back to the property and gave the kids naps and then packed up and came home. The biggest complaint of the weekend were the bugs. The black flies were ruthless!! By the time we left Saturday they were just swarming over you wherever you went. Gross! Travis had a great time camping, and I actually enjoyed it (but just a little bit:). Stay tuned to see where the Metcalfe's go next:)

6 comments:

T~ said...

I had a good time with you too babe! Thanks for roughing it and I love my new tent!

Kim W. said...

I think you enjoy camping just about as much as I do. :) I am right there with ya! But I am glad you had a good time. The kids are so cute...and getting so big! Isn't it sad how fast they grow?

Jeremy and Laura Lebow said...

I'm with you . . I'm not the biggest camping fan. And I think we would have a similar experience with Clara. But it's good you tried it! Fun tent!

The Johnsons said...

Did you buy your hubby a pink tent? Very manly! Ready to go camping again? It's sounds like a cool place though, with a creek even!

Crystal said...

It's not pink! It's black and burgandy!:)

Tiffany Nevil said...

I love it! See! You camp! I'm very proud of you for going and having fun. The water looks so nice! What a fun wife and mommy you are!