Thursday, January 7, 2010

Never say "never!"

WE DID IT!
So if you read my blog or have been keeping up with the Metcalfe family you know Travis and I have turned into workout maniacs:) Not really, but since last January I have added some type of fitness to my daily routine and Travis has upped his exercise too. This is a big deal because pretty much since high school I haven't exercised very much and I really didn't like it. I have learned to love it because of the results it brings and the positive effects I feel of it afterwards. Anyways, last January I tried to run one night at the Y and could barely make it one lap around the track (6 laps= mile). Eventually by March I ran a mile which was a huge accomplishment. I've been slowly working my way up because running is a great and quick way to burn calories especially if I'm short on time.
Travis and I were invited on December 5th to run our first 5K!!! I was really hesitant, but Travis promised me that we could go my speed (which is jogging VERY slowly), if we ran the whole thing. That morning it was freezing cold and we were both thinking "what did we get ourselves into?" But..... WE DID IT!!!!! It was an amazing experience to do together, not give up and to look and see how in one year our lives and bodies have changed. We're both contemplating another race in the near future, but for now we're still proud of our little accomplishment. Some might say, "A 5K, so what." But, for those of us who have never run that far, it's huge.

5 comments:

T~ said...

You did great! I am so proud of you and how far you have come in this past year! I am excited to see where this next year takes us!

Tiffany Nevil said...

I am so proud of you too! You look so amazing and you always inspire me. You are certainly a workout maniac!

Jeremy and Laura Lebow said...

I hope not too many people say, "5K, so what?" because I couldn't run that far if I wanted to!

Kim said...

THAT A GIRL!!! Very proud of you! I think that's great! Hope you keep it up! I love to run, but between being either pregnant or nursing pretty much the ENTIRE past 4 years, I haven't gotten to run much more than a 5K. I am planning on running a half marathon this fall though...that is, if I am not pregnant again! Ha! Anyhow, glad you feel better, and that yall have made such a wonderful lifestyle change! Keep it up! And I think it's a GREAT example to your kids!

Steve & Sarabeth said...

I love that about running, too...through the bodybugg I've discovered that it burns calories more quickly/efficiently than almost any other exercise! Way to go!